Registered Voters: 286,380    REP: 108,442     DEM: 96,150     NPA: 80,241     Other: 1,547

Your Questions Answered

We realize we can't answer all questions on our website.  So please feel free to call us at 407.585.VOTE (8683) or email any specific questions to

Voter Registration Qualifications

How do I register to vote?
You may request a registration application be mailed to you by calling us at 407-585-VOTE or you may print a registration application online HERE.  A Florida Voter Registration Application form can also be obtained from any of Florida’s mandated sites, including public libraries, DHSMV drivers license offices, centers for independent living, offices providing public assistance or serving persons with disabilities, armed forces recruiting offices, and supervisor of elections offices.

Do I have to be a United States Citizen?
Yes. You must be a United States Citizen to be a registered voter. If you have a Green Card, that indicates that you are not a United States citizen.

What identification do I need in order to register to vote?
You do not need to show any identification to register to vote. You sign an oath attesting to the accuracy of all information given.

Can I use a nickname when I register to vote?
No. You should use your legal name just as you would for any legal document.

Can I register here if I live here part of the year and in another state part of the year?
Yes. However, you must determine which place you want to be your legal residence. You cannot be registered and voting in two places at once.

If I have citizenship in the U.S. and another country, can I still register to vote?
Yes, as long as you are a U.S. citizen and satisfy the other requirements for registration.

How do I change my voter registration?
You may change your address by calling 407.585.VOTE, by using our online address change form, by submitting a completed, signed voter registration application, or in writing by mailing a signed, written request that indicates your date of birth or your voter registration number to P.O. Box 1479, Sanford, FL 32772.  Changes to your name or party affiliation must be made in writing, preferably using the voter registration application.  If you are already a registered voter in Florida, there is no deadline for changing your name or address.  You can even do so at the polls during early voting or on Election Day.  Party affiliation changes for a Primary Election must be done by 29 days prior to Election Day.

Can I choose which address to use for registering?
No. Because your elected representatives are determined by your residence address, you must use the address where you live. It is not permissible to register using a business address, a former address or a piece of property that you simply own. You must register where you live.

Do I have to register prior to each election?
No. Once you become a registered voter in Seminole County, your name will remain on our records until such time as we receive notification that you have moved from this county or that you have lost your civil rights.

Will my information become public record?
Yes.  All information on your registration application form (other than your drivers license number, social security number, and signature) become public record.  Voters in certain occupations may request their data be exempt from public record.  They can make the request using this form.

Voter Information Cards

Per Florida law, Voter Information Cards are sent to all voters upon validation of their initial voter registration application, or to currently registered voters when making a name, address or party affiliation change.  New information cards will be sent to all voters who are in a precinct in which there has been a change in their polling location.

Voter Information Cards are not necessary to vote. They serve as confirmation of your voter registration and provide information on your precinct and polling location. If you have lost your information card and would like a new one, you must request one in writing, or complete a voter registration application.


How do I know where I vote?
That information is provided to you on your voter information card.  You may use the Find My Record feature on our website or call our voter hotline at 407.585.VOTE (8683).

What hours are the polls open in Seminole County?
7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.  We also have early voting for all countywide elections.  For information about which locations will be available and dates/hours open for the next election, visit the Elections page of our site.

What are the identification requirements for voting?
Florida law requires two forms of identification at the polls. In order to vote you must present both signature and photo identification. It can be one form of identification, such as a Florida driver license, or two separate forms of identification. For example, you may have a VA ID with your photograph on it but not your signature. You would then need to present a second form of identification with your signature on it.

Examples of Picture Identification:
  •     Florida driver license
  •     Florida identification card
  •     U.S. passport
  •     Military ID
  •     Debit or Credit Card
  •     Retirement Center ID
  •     Student ID
  •     Neighborhood Association ID
  •     Public Assistance ID
  •     Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License
  •     Veteran Health Identification Card
  •     Government Employee Identification Card

If you do not have proper ID, you must vote a Provisional Ballot, which is a paper ballot issued at the polling place or at the early voting site to a voter who does not provide photo and signature identification or whose eligibility to vote cannot be determined. Additionally, it will take you longer to be processed to vote. A person casting a provisional ballot shall have the right to present written evidence supporting his or her eligibility to vote to the supervisor of elections by not later than 5 p.m. on the second day following the election.

Vote by Mail

May I vote by mail before Election Day?
Yes. You may contact our office as to when and where you may vote early or request a vote by mail ballot.  For those who already have a request, the ballots are mailed about a month before Election Day.

Where do I obtain a vote by mail ballot?
You may obtain a vote by mail ballot by phoning, writing or coming in to the Supervisor of Elections Office, or you may complete an online application.

The last day to request a mail ballot be mailed to your address is 5 p.m. 6 days prior to an election.

Voted mail ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day at the Supervisor of Elections office.

Mail ballots cannot be forwarded to other addresses by the United States Postal Service.

May I request a vote by mail ballot for someone else?
Yes. You may request a vote by mail ballot be mailed to anyone in your immediate family or anyone for whom you are a legal guardian. Any request for a voter must include the voter's name, date of birth, address, and where the ballot is to be mailed. As well, the requester must provide their name, address, driver's license number, and the relationship to the voter.  Five days prior to the election you may carry-out up to two ballots from the Supervisor of Elections Office for anyone as long as the above information is provided in writing from the voter and it specifically designates you as the person to carry the ballot out and you provide photo identification. There is no limitation on the number of carry-outs for immediate family.

Will my vote still count if I forgot to put the secrecy sleeve in the mail ballot envelope?
The secrecy sleeve is included in the packet as an option for you to use.  If you don't include it in the returned ballot envelope, your vote will not be impacted.

I forgot to sign my mail ballot envelope!  Can I cure that?
If you returned your mail ballot but forgot to sign the envelope, or if the signature has been flagged for review, your ballot may not count unless you complete and return the Mail Ballot Signature Affidavit no later than 5 p.m. on the day before the election. Please follow the instructions carefully, as failure to follow these instructions may cause your ballot not to count.
A copy of the form is HERE.

Political Parties

Why do I have to declare a political party?

You are not required to declare a party preference. In Florida’s partisan elections, members of each political party can field a candidate for the general election to represent their party.  To select a political party’s nominee, voters need to have been a member of that political party for at least 29 days before the primary election.  In the general election, voters of any political affiliation, including those with no party, may vote for any candidate on their ballot, regardless of the candidate’s party

When and how do I change my party preference?
A party affiliation may be changed at any time. However, when the registration books are closed for an election (29 days prior to each election), the party change will not take place until after the election.  Party changes may be submitted on a Florida voter registration application or by signed, written request which includes either your date of birth or your voter identification number. Requests should be mailed to P.O. Box 1479, Sanford, FL 32772.

Felony Convictions

Can I register to vote if I've been convicted of a felony?
Yes...if your civil rights concerning voting have been restored.

To find out if your civil rights have been restored, contact:
     Office of Executive Clemency
     4070 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee, FL 32399-2450
     850.488.2952 or 800.435.8286


What is a pollworker?

Pollworkers are people that work at the polling places on election day.

How can I become a pollworker?
You must complete an on-line pollworker application.  Qualified applicants will be added to our pollworker file and notified by phone or email if any position becomes available. 

Ballot Tabulation
What type of voting system does Seminole County use?
Seminole County uses an optical scan paper ballot system, where votes are cast by filling in ovals.

Political Pollwatchers

What is a political pollwatcher?
A political pollwatcher is a person designated by a candidate, political party or political committee to watch and observe the conduct of elections. Political pollwatchers are not in any way associated with our office.  Learn more about political pollwatchers by watching this news report from WFTV.


If you are interested in running for office, click HERE.

What are the solicitation boundaries at the polls?

Per F.S. 102.031(4)(a) No person, political committee, committee of continuous existence, or other group or organization may solicit voters inside the polling place or within 100 feet of the entrance to any polling place, or polling room where the polling place is also a polling room, or early voting site.  We will have signs at the polling location indicating the boundary.  If anyone violates the boundary, please let a pollworker know.

What is a Write-In Candidate?
This is a candidate who qualified in a manner that does not allow for his/her name to appear on the ballot. However, a space is provided for the candidate's name to be written on the general election ballot. A person qualifying as a write-in candidate is not required to pay a filing fee, election assessment, or party assessment.

How are candidates listed on the ballot?
In a primary election, candidates are listed alphabetically (except for circuit court judges who are determined by lot conducted by the State Director of the Division of Elections). In a general election, the names of the candidates of the party that received the highest number of votes for governor in the last election shall be placed first under the heading for each office; then, the names of the candidates of the party that received the second highest vote for Governor shall be second. Minor political party candidates and candidates with no party affiliation shall have their names appear on the general election ballot following the names of recognized political parties, in the same order as they were certified.

How much money can I donate to a candidate?
Up to $1,000 per election. This amount includes in-kind contributions.

How can I get a county charter question on the ballot?
Seminole County’s Charter provides a mechanism for residents to add an initiative amendment to an upcoming election ballot.  Below is the text of the charter, which outlines the process.

Section 4.2 Home Rule Charter Amendments.

A. Amendments Proposed by Petition.

(1) Amendments to the Home Rule Charter may be proposed by petition signed by a number of electors residing in at least three-fifths (3/5) of the County Commission election districts and of the County as a whole equal to seven and one-half percent (7.5%) of electors qualified to vote in the last preceding general election. Each such proposed amendment shall embrace but one subject and matter directly connected therewith. Each Charter amendment proposed by petition shall be placed on the ballot by resolution of the Board of County Commissioners for the general election occurring in excess of 90 days from the certification by the Supervisor of Elections that the requisite number of signatures has been verified.

(2) The sponsor of a petition amendment shall, prior to obtaining any signatures, submit the text of the proposed amendment to the Supervisor of Elections, with the form on which the signatures will be affixed, and shall obtain the approval of the Supervisor of Elections of such form. The style and requirements of such form shall be specified by ordinance. The beginning date of any petition drive shall commence upon the date of approval by the Supervisor of Elections of the form on which signatures will be affixed, and said drive shall terminate six (6) months after that date. In the event sufficient signatures are not acquired during that six (6) month period, the petition initiative shall be rendered null and void and none of the signatures may be carried over onto another identical or similar petition. The sponsor shall submit signed and dated forms to the Supervisor of Elections and upon submission pay all fees as required by general law. The Supervisor of Elections shall within 60 days verify the signatures thereon.

(3) If approved by a majority of those electors voting on the amendment at the general election, the amendment shall become effective on the date specified in the amendment, or, if not so specified, on January 1 of the succeeding year.
FORMS  (Ord. No. 90-6, § 1, 3-13-90)

(a) The petition form which shall be used for proposed amendments to the Home Rule Charter of Seminole County by the initiative process is attached hereto as Exhibit “A”.(b) The petition form which shall be used for proposing, by initiative, that an ordinance be enacted is attached hereto as Exhibit “B”.

(c) The forms referred in this Section are hereby incorporated herein as operative parts of and provisions of this Part.



I am a registered voter of Seminole County and hereby petition the Supervisor of Elections to place substantially the following ballot title and summary relating to the text of the following proposed charter amendment on the ballot in the next election available for such purpose pursuant to Section 4.2A [2] of the Home Rule Charter of Seminole County after final verification of the full number of signatures necessary by the Supervisor of Elections.

A. TITLE: (Insert TITLE of Amendment/title not to exceed 15 words)

B. SUMMARY: (Insert summary of measure to be voted upon. Said summary not to exceed 75 words.) (EXAMPLE: Shall there be an amendment to the Home Rule Charter of Seminole County as follows: …?)

C. TEXT: (The full text of the Amendment should be inserted here or attached to the petition.)

  • Voter’s Name as registered in Supervisor of Election’s Residence Precinct of Office
  • Place of Residence
  • Street
  • City, Zip Code
  • Voting Precinct Number
  • Date of Signature
  • Printed Name
  • Signature

I am a registered voter of Seminole County and hereby petition, pursuant to Section 2.2H [4] of the Home Rule Charter of Seminole County, the Board of County Commissioners of Seminole County to enact the ordinance on file with the Supervisor of Elections for Seminole County or amend or repeal an existing ordinance of Seminole County as detailed in a proposed ordinance on file with the Supervisor of Elections for Seminole County said new, amending or repealing ordinance relating to the following subject and matter:

A. TITLE: (Insert TITLE of Ordinance)

B. TEXT: (The full text of the Ordinance should be inserted here or attached to the petition.)

If the Board of County Commissioners does not enact the Ordinance after a sufficient number of electors have signed the petition, then I petition the Board of County Commissioners to call a referendum election on the Ordinance in accordance with Section 2.2H of the Home Rule Charter of Seminole County.

  • Voter’s Name as registered in Supervisor of Election’s Residence Precinct of Office
  • Place of Residence
  • Street
  • City, Zip Code
  • Voting Precinct Number
  • Date of Signature
  • Printed Name
  • Signature

Military / Overseas Voters

I am in the military. Where is my legal voting residence?
For voting purposes, your "legal voting residence" can be the state or territory where you last resided prior to entering military service or the state or territory that you have since claimed as your legal residence. To claim a new legal residence you must have simultaneous physical presence and the intent to return to that location as your primary residence. Military and family members may change their legal residence every time they change permanent duty stations or they may retain their legal residence without change. Family members may have a different legal voting residence from the member. A legal officer should be consulted before legal residence is changed because there are usually other factors that should be considered besides voting.

Military personnel may apply for voter registration or request vote-by-mail ballots with a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) which may be obtained by clicking the link below.

Additional military election information is available from:
     Director of Federal Voting Assistance Program
     Office of the Secretary of Defense
     Washington Headquarters Services
     1155 Defense Pentagon
     Washington, D.C. 20301-1155

     FVAP Fax: 703-588-0108
     Toll-free: 800-438-8683

I am in the military. However, my family members are not in the military; can they also vote vote-by-mail?
The law entitles eligible family members of military personnel to vote vote-by-mail. Family members are considered to be in the same category of vote-by-mail voter as military members and generally should follow the same procedures.  Family members of military personnel residing overseas, who are U.S. citizens and who have never resided in the U.S., usually claim a U.S. citizen parent's legal state of residence as their own.  As an overseas civilian or member of the Uniformed Services, if you are stationed outside of the United States or its territories, you may request that your ballot be transmitted to you via mail, email, or fax. Only overseas military or civilian voters may return a ballot via fax.  Domestic military voters, regardless of the manner in which the ballot was received (mail, email, or fax), must return the ballot by mail or in person.

I am an overseas citizen. If I do not maintain a legal residence in the U.S., what is my legal state of residence?
Your "legal state of residence" for voting purposes is the state or territory where you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. This right extends to overseas citizens even though they may not have property or other ties in their last state or territory of residence and their intent to return to that state or territory may be uncertain. When completing the FPCA's Voting Residence section, be sure to enter the entire mailing address of your last residence, including street or rural route and number.

Voter Bill of Rights
Each registered voter in Seminole County has the right to:
  • Vote and have his or her vote accurately counted.
  • Cast a vote if he or she is in line at the official closing of the polls in that county.
  • Ask for and receive assistance in voting.
  • Receive up to two replacement ballots if he or she makes a mistake prior to the ballot being cast.
  • An explanation if his or her registration, or identity, is in question.
  • If his or her registration, or identity, is in question, cast a provisional ballot.
  • Written instructions to use when voting, and, upon request, oral instructions in voting from elections officers.
  • Vote free from coercion or intimidation by elections officers or any other person.
  • Vote on a voting system that is in working condition and that will allow votes to be accurately cast.

Voter Responsibilities
Each registered voter in this state should:
  • Familiarize himself or herself with the candidates and issues.
  • Maintain with the office of the supervisor of elections a current address.
  • Know the location of his or her polling place and its hours of operation.
  • Bring proper identification to the polling station.
  • Familiarize himself or herself with the operation of the voting equipment in his or her precinct.
  • Treat precinct workers with courtesy.
  • Respect the privacy of other voters.
  • Report any problems or violations of election laws to the supervisor of elections.
  • Ask questions, if needed.
  • Make sure that his or her completed ballot is correct before leaving the polling station.
NOTE TO VOTER: Failure to perform any of these responsibilities does not prohibit a voter from voting.

I love the voter guide!  How can I get a few copies?
Call our office at 407.585.VOTE (8683), stop on by at 1500 East Airport Blvd., in Sanford, or request one via email.  You can download a copy of the guide HERE.

Share by: